Due to high costs for keeping this site running, please consider making a donation.
$7 Off State Filings With Coupon Code "7OFFSTATE"
File Your Taxes For Free
30% Off With Coupon Code "SAVE30"
Dryer repair help and repair parts...
Dryer References - Dryer Maintenance Tips - Frequently Asked Questions
Get fast cash at Check Into Cash. APPLY NOW!
Whirlpool, Inglis and Kenmore Dryer Motor Problems
A few common motor problems might be....I push/turn the start button but he motor only hummmmmmms or the motor shuts off before the cycle is suppose to be finished or the motor is dead. If you decide to change your own motor remember to write down what color wires go to what # terminals before removing any wires from the motor. This style of dryer has a fan blower threaded onto one end of the motor shafts, the fan blower is a left hand thread. See this picture here for how to get the fan blower off of the motor shaft.
More help on replacing the dryer motor part# 279827.
- I push/turn the start button and the motor just hums: Check for something jammed in the fan blower, worn rollers, seized idler pulley or something jamming the drum, but unfortunately 9.5 times out of 10 this is a bad motor and you will need a new one.
- I push/turn the start button and my motor starts up, but the motor makes a loud growl or buzz on start up. This is often the first signs of a motor going sour.
- The motor shuts off before the cycle is suppose to be finished: Make sure you read up dryer vents in the basics section. Motor's also have a built in safety thermostat switch, make sure the motor is not covered with lint and that the motor endbells are not plugged with lint. As the motor runs it draws air across it self to keep it cool while running, these end bells must be lint free.
- The motor is dead: A test to see if motor is any good, hook up a test cord to terminals 4 & 5 on the motor, plug into a 120 volt outlet to see if the motor will run. If motor runs, the trouble is elsewhere, ( like a possible open door switch, timer, thermal fuse ) if the motor is still dead with direct power to it, the motor is bad.
- Something you should look out for when checking for a possible bad motor. Check this out.
- Whirlpool - Kenmore dryer motor problems in the dryer with Even Heat Control....info on this is here.
- If you need how to take apart information please use this.